There are so many valuable lessons to be learned from starting and running your own business. Each year, I like to reflect on some of the most important realizations I've come to learn in the last 365 days. As we all know, 2020 was a year like no other. It was the year I officially launched SPLICE clothing, and it was a year that taught me so much, in business and in life.
Here are my Top 10 things I learned in 2020 about running a business:
1. Customer Service is key. You know what it's like being a happy customer. And you know what it's like being an unhappy customer. Striving to make every customer happy even if it isn't profitable for every transaction is worth it.
2. Know your why. It's what'll keep you going when time gets tough.
3. Your product isn't for everybody. And it's not supposed to be. Find your tribe!
4. Timelines creep up super quick. It's a lot harder to catch up once you miss a couple.
5. You don't have to pay for ads to generate leads. There are lots of ways to organically grow too!
6. Make it easy to do business with you, from your website, to your policies, to your demeanor. If it's hard, why would someone go through the trouble?
7. Partner up with businesses in similar niches as you to expose one another to each's audience. Collaboration over competition and literally everyone wins!
8. Making people happy and excited about your product and making their life easier is one of the best feelings ever! Genuine reviews make my heart skip a beat 💓
9. You can make real friends through social media! The people who follow you are interested in the same things as you.
10. Things can change in an instant. It's inevitable that things won't go as planned. And hey, a worldwide pandemic may ruin the travel prospects for the entire world this year, but that doesn't have to stop you!!!
I'm sure you learned a lot from 2020 as well! Feel free to share something interesting you learned this year in the comments :)